Thursday, February 12, 2009

Library Loot

I've seen this around on a few other blogs and thought I would join in this week. Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by A Striped Armchair and Out of the Blue that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.

As soon as The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman was announced as the Newberry winner, I hopped onto my library website to reserve it. Lucky for me I actually have two library systems at my finger tips. Hennepin County which includes Minneapolis and its surrounding suburbs listed 294 requests before mine! I headed over to the Carver County library website (we live within ten minutes of a Carver County library and my card works there too!) and checked and there were only TWO people ahead of me. So yesterday I skipped on over there and picked it up.

I had my three year old with who wanted to check out the children's area so of course I ended up browsing while she played around. I just love this little library! They always have good titles just sitting on the shelf! I came across Tale of Beetle the Bard by J. K. Rowling. I've never been particularly interested in acquiring this book, but I'm somewhat curious. And there it was on the shelf begging to go home with me. This has 310 requests at the other library.

Then I decided I should really check out their new aquisitions shelf and see if there is anything of interest. That's where I found Rapunzel's Revenge last time I was there. They had a juvenile fiction mystery there I'd never heard of: The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt. It sounds like a tale of art theft and forgery with an adventure thrown in. Sounds pretty good to me! And maybe I can use it to knock off one book of my Art History Reading Challenge.

I came home very satisfied with my library finds and look forward to delving into them very soon!

4 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

Nice finds! I've been wanting to read the Gaiman book as well. Enjoy!

Eva said...

That's awesome you got The Graveyard Book already! I loved it. :D

Jen C said...

I just discovered your site via the library loot event. We seem to read similiar books in our book group. I look forward to seeing what else you are reading. I also live in the twin cities and love that you can head over to a different library if you can't find your book. I use the ramsey and dakota libraries!!! Thanks for sharing!

Marbel said...

Your finds sound interesting. I love reading other peoples' book lists!